Pages

12 August 2008

So Monday I go to check out the Notebook here and I find that it's been unpublished by Google and flagged as a spam blog. Damn. After I read up on Google's pages about what trips their radar, I realized why their bots flagged me.

Links.

The Whiskey Cured Bacon post used copies of Fido messages from a BBS called "Doc's Place" to trace the evolution of the recipe. Every one of the Fidonet messages I copypasta'd over from Doc's Place had a minimum of four links back to Doc's built into the headers. At Doc's, those links are aids to internal navigation. At Blogger, it smells like spam - that single post must have had over 100 links in it!

I requested a review, hoping that if a human checked out the blog they'd notice what was going on. Sure enough, this morning I found the Notebook back to normal and the locks lifted.

The first thing I did was edit that post to remove all the links from the copypasta. That way, the next time the bots crawl through this won't happen again. Nothing like learning the hard way!

Contributors